Thursday, March 1, 2012

Maverick closer to flying again: Top Gun 2 script gets a complete re-write



1986's Top Gun was the quintessential 1980s homoerotic*--er--buddy action film. I remember being 8 watching it on my Uncle Gil's VCR. For the next few months all I could think about was being Maverick when I grew up and flying jets. Sadly I cannot see the Great Wall of China if it's two feet in front of me without my contacts, so my dream of being a fighter pilot was not to be.

I've been hearing about a sequel to Top Gun for over a year now and hoping it would simply crash and burn. Alas I think that hope is becoming less likely than resurrecting Iceman's (Val Kilmer's) career.

According to the "Hollywood Reporter" the studio has been less than thrilled with the current script. Rather than doing the smart thing and scrapping the project altogether, the studio has hired The Town co-writer Peter Craig to completely rewrite the script. While I absolutely loved The Town, completely re-writing a script is never a good thing. Fortunately, it should be some time before we hear anything more about this sequel, so that gives the project plenty of time to run out of fuel.

And just in case you were wondering, yes Tom Cruise is fully on board with this and is reportedly very anxious to resume his role as Maverick.


*You've gotta admit that the beach volleyball scene was about as laden with homosexual undertones as you can get. Do you really need to do an exaggerated flex to check your watch?

1 comment:

  1. I wish they would have done "the smart thing" and scrapped it. This is not necessary.

    ReplyDelete