Friday, January 20, 2012

George Lucas Swinging out of the Blockbuster Jungle?




*

I want to say that I love George Lucas for bringing Star Wars and Indiana Jones into my life. It's hard to imagine my life without those movies only because they were not only a key part of my childhood but they fundamentally shaped my outlook on movies and my love for science fiction and fantasy.

Unfortunately, Lucas has had more hatred dumped on him in the last fifteen years by fans than Hoth has had snowstorms. Fans have complained of everything (justifiably in most cases) from his constant tinkering with Star Wars, Jar Jar Binks, bad prequels, Hayden Christiansen's apparent lack of acting, greed, and Indiana Jones 4. While I agree on the tinkering, Jar Jar Binks, and Hayden Christiansen, I actually liked the prequels and anybody who reads my blog knows how I've come around on the last Indiana Jones film. Truth be told I think my biggest complaint is the greed situation and Lucas's seeming indifference to his fans' complaints. No one would have a problem shelling out the money for the Star Wars DVD and Blu-ray if he didn't space them out to get the most money and/or if he released the original versions as well.

As a result of my previous comments, I have a real hard time trusting anything George Lucas says anymore and that includes his latest six page interview in the New York Times, where he states he's retiring from making big-budget films. Instead he wants to devote the rest of his film making career to "personal films" that are "small in scope, esoteric in subject, and screened mostly in art houses."

Ooooookaaayyyy.....

If George really wants to do this, more power to him but I highly doubt it. How many of George's films have ever been "small in scope" or "esoteric"? The closest one is maybe American Grafitti.

Is ole George trying to pull a Jedi mind trick on us because if so it's pretty weak. I don't buy it for a second because honestly George Lucas has too big of an ego to make films that are shown mostly in art houses and seen by a few people. Most of his films (good and bad) have been big budget films that say "LOOK AT ME!!!!" I don't see that changing anytime soon.

An interesting question though is if George Lucas is serious, what does this mean for Indy 5? Ford is apparently set to play the role again and Lucas at last telling was generating a story. Does this mean that the movie isn't going to happen? Not necessarily. While Lucas might help develop the story and script, it doesn't necessarily mean he has to have a huge role in the movie. In fact it might be a great idea if he sat back on this one and let others take over. However I doubt very highly that Lucas will be able to show restraint when it comes to Indiana Jones.

Either way I wouldn't look for Lucas to be headlining the next Indie flick convention anytime soon.


*I found this poster on the Internet and couldn't resist. The caption is just too perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment