Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Good, the Bad, and the Matthew Lillard?? Scream star in negotiations to star alongside Clint Eastwood in director's next film












Ok this news from Entertainment Weekly DOES NOT make my day. In one of the most bizarre possible casting choices ever, terminally goofy looking actor Matthew Lillard, who first gained notice with the Scream films, is in negotiations to star right alongside Clint Eastwood in the director's upcoming film Trouble with the Curve. Eastwood will play an aging baseball scout dealing with blindness who heads down to Atlanta to evaluate a hotshot prospect. Lillard meanwhile (if he gets the role) will play another baseball scout.

Minor role or major role I really question this choice by Eastwood*. Lillard just appeared in one of the most well reviewed films of the year, director George Clooney's The Descendants, so maybe Eastwood thinks this gives Lillard** some clout.

I don't.

Look at some of the cinematic gems Matthew Lillard has been in over the last decade or so:

Dish Dogs

Thirteen Ghosts

Scooby Doo

Wicker Park

Without a Paddle

Bickford Shmeckler's Cool Ideas (yes that is a real title of a movie)

American Summer

Wing Commander

Shrinking Charlotte

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale


In case you can't see my point by the I've-Never-Even-Heard-Of-Most-Of-Those-Films laundry list of cinematic gems I just wrote, I'll spell it out for you. MATTHEW LILLARD HAS NO BUSINESS BEING IN A CLINT EASTWOOD MOVIE. I guess the only good thing I can say is that Lillard isn't playing the hot young prospect. That would be a deal breaker for me. Amy Adams (currently filming Man of Steel) will play Eastwood's daughter as well.


*I hope that Eastwood isn't making this decision based on Lillard's role in the worst baseball movie ever Summer Catch. Just because you were in a baseball movie doesn't make you fit for a role in a Clint Eastwood film. For the record I have not been a big fan of Eastwood's films over the last couple of years. Gran Torino was mediocre at best and Million Dollar Baby was one of the most overrated Academy Award winning films of all time. Unforgiven is still one of great westerns ever though.

**SLC Punk is one of the few films I've ever liked Lillard in. If you've never seen it I highly recommend it especially if you like punk music.



No comments:

Post a Comment