Wednesday, October 23, 2013

John Belushi biopic in the work, Joaquin Phoenix and Emile Hirsch rumored front runners for role





This is exciting news.

While a John Belushi biopic has been in development for a long time, it looks like there is finally some movement on the project.  While director Todd Phillips (The Hangover) was initially tied to the film, screenwriter Steve Conrad has replaced him. The picture is also moving forward as an Indie pic, rather than a big budget production.

"THR" also reports that Conrad is currently searching for actors for the main role with Joaquin Phoenix, Emile Hirsch, and Adam Devine at the top of the list.  Additionally, Conrad is looking for an actor to play Dan Aykroyd, and Nelson Franklin of "Veep" and "New Girl" fame appears to be the frontrunner. 

While a previous Belushi picture, Wired, came out in 1989 starring Michael Chiklis, the whole Belushi family rejected it and it met with poor reception.  This time around however Belushi's widow, Judy Belushi Pisano, is producing the film with Aykroyd serving as an executive producer as well. 

I'm psyched for this film.  I always loved Belushi* and his tragic death was a huge blow to the comedy world.  If I had my druthers I think I'd actually pick Devine for this role.  He has Belushi's build and as a natural comedic performer I believe he'd fit perfectly.  Phoenix is an interesting choice but I think Emile Hirsch would be awful.  Seems like a complete miscasting to me. 

The untitled project is slated to begin production in Spring 2014 in New York City.

*John Belushi was originally supposed to play Dr. Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters, but upon his death the role went to Bill Murray.

No comments:

Post a Comment