Thursday, August 15, 2013

Could Mark Wahlberg get funky as the new Iron Man???



I think most fans are in agreement that after the third Avengers movie  Robert Downey Jr. is out as Iron Man.  In fact I think once production wraps on the last film he'll be off the Marvel Studio lot quicker than a sarcastic barb from Tony Stark.  It's pretty obvious from the last several interviews that he's ready to hang up the suit.  Yet the Iron Man franchise has never been more successful and the consensus is that with or without Downey, Iron Man will sail through the skies for years to come.  But who will replace Downey?

Apparently, Mark Wahlberg wants a shot.

In a recent interview with "Yahoo! Movies UK" Wahlberg says he would love to take over for Robert Downey Jr. once he exits the franchise.  The only reason he hasn't jumped at it is because he's never been asked and he freely admits he likes playing "real" people more.  Personally, I don't think it would work.  I love Mark Wahlberg.  I do.  Boogie Nights, Three Kings, The Departed, Ted; I like most things he's in.  However, I just don't think he possesses the sarcastic snarkiness, let alone the genius element that the character of Tony Stark needs.  Having said that I hope he gets involved in a comic book film somehow.

Wahlberg also made an interesting statement about CGI in movies:

You know, there’s so many effects-driven movies. What people have a tendency to forget, because you look at a lot of the trailers and the summer movies that came out… they all look very similar. Certainly all the end of the world movies. It’s like you can only do so much with effects. I don’t think any person sitting at home watching a television spot, a 15-second spot or a 30 second spot, is gonna say ‘Oh I’m gonna go see a movie because I haven’t seen that!’ You’ve seen it all before. People haven’t been wowed by effects since ‘Jurassic Park’ or ‘Perfect Storm’ with the wave, you know? It’s like now everybody does everything. It’s all kind of the same sh*t. They’re recycling a lot of the stuff.

Despite the fact that Wahlberg is starring in next year's new Transformers movie, I don't think this makes him a hypocrite.  Most actors have to deal with CGI at some point.  I agree with his sentiment though.  People now are less captivated by effects because they see it all the time.  Forget CGI. Give me a good character driven story anytime.

Mark Wahlberg can next be seen in Lone Survivor out in limited release on December 27th and nationwide January 10th, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment