Monday, January 27, 2014

Elizabeth Banks to direct 'Pitch Perfect 2'



I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with 2012's Pitch Perfect.  I was expecting a chick flick, but it actually turned out to be a very funny and highly entertaining movie.  And it contained some amazing musical performances to boot.  Furthermore, the film was a huge success at the box office, raking in over $113 million worldwide with only a budget of $17 million.  No surprise then that of course there's going to be a sequel.

In an interesting development, actress Elizabeth Banks (who had a small role in the original) will direct the sequel.  This will be her feature directorial debut.  The news comes care of "The Hollywood Reporter."

Banks has been around comedy forever and I tend to think that when you work with directors Kevin Smith, Judd Apatow, and David Wain you pick up a thing or two.  I have no problem with this choice but it will be interesting to see how the sequel plays out.  The first one was lightening in a bottle.  I'd hate to see the second become formulaic and inane. 

No information on if the principle actors will return or a start date but I'd hazard to guess the movie will be out sometime next Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment