Sunday, September 23, 2012

Trailer for Jackie Robinson biopic "42" debuts


     I hesitate to call former Brooklyn Dodgers Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson a baseball player because he was so much more than that.  Not only did he break the color barrier in Major League Baseball, he became an iconic symbol of the civil rights movement and made America openly confront the heinous tumor of racism in the United States.  In fact I'd go so far as to say that Jackie Robinson is one of the most important American citizens of the 20th century.
     And soon his life* will be coming to a theater near you courtesy of Warner Bros. who just released this trailer for 42http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP3G4E2ael8.
     I have to say I was a little hesitant when I heard Harrison Ford was going to play Dodgers owner Branch Rickey.  He certainly looks the part but almost seems like he's overacting in this trailer.  I don't know.  I hope I'm wrong.  As a baseball fan I desperately want this to be a good movie because A) the source material makes for great drama and B) there are too few great sports movies being made anymore.
     Overall the trailer suggests a marked degree of authenticity to the era although I wasn't exactly crazy about the rap music in the background.  It came across slightly out of place.  Oh well.  Maybe that's just for the trailer.
     42 hits theaters in April 2013, just in time for baseball season.

*Now that we have a biopic for Jackie Robinson can be PLEASE get one for Ted Williams already?
    

No comments:

Post a Comment