Monday, February 11, 2013

If Lawrence Kasdan has his way the "Star Wars" expanded universe will have no place in the new films



     Gotta say I'm a huge Lawrence Kasdan fan.  After all this is the dude who helped pen The Empire Strikes Back, arguably the best film in the Star Wars saga.  And although he is only going to be a consultant on the new trilogy, rumor has it that Kasdan will be the guy behind the first stand alone Star Wars film.  Whether it's about Yoda, Boba Fett, or Bib Fortuna, no one knows yet.
     According to "Hero Complex" what Kasdan does know however is that he'd like everything to be new.  And by new I mean having nothing to do with the Star Wars expanded universe:

“I’m trying to start fresh,” he said. “There are certain pleasures that we think the saga can bring to people that they’ve been missing, and we’re hoping to bring them that, and at the same time, have them feel that it’s all new.”

     Kasdan also thinks the same will hold true for the Episodes VII, VIII, and IX:

“George sort of brought me into this part of it, and he’s stepping back from the company,” he said. “He’s sort of given his blessing to everybody, and he’ll be there if you need him. I think everyone’s interested to see where this can go. It’s been some very different places over 30 years …. I think with J.J., we’ll get something entirely new.”

     You know I'm all about new as long as it is high quality, but I have to say I'm a little disappointed.  For those of  you who aren't an uber-nerd like me, the Star Wars expanded universe entails all the comics, novels, etc that have come out post Jedi.  Trust me there is a lot of good material there and I'm surprised that people in charge would just ignore the fallow material in front of them.  It begs the question of when and who will be involved in these films?  Is there a place for Luke Skywalker or Han Solo?  One thing is certain, there's no room for Jar Jar Binks.
     Episode VII will hit theaters sometime in 2015 or 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment