Friday, October 5, 2012

Review: Trouble with the Curve


Plot:  Gus Lobel (Clint Eastwood) is the most celebrated baseball scout in Atlanta Braves history, responsible for the signing of noted players like Tom Glavine and Chipper Jones.  An old school scout, Gus shuns modern sabermetrics, computers, and the "interweb" relying only on what he can see and hear.  While hearing isn't the problem (he can tell by the crack of the bat if it's a fastball or a curve) his sight is quickly going.  With three months left to go on his contract, and Braves brass executive Tom Silver (Matthew Lillard) pushing to oust Gus, Lobel's last chance at redemption comes via Bo Gentry, (Joe Massingill) a top notch high school prospect that Atlanta is looking to getting their hands on.  To help with his eyesight problem, Gus' best friend Pete (John Goodman) enlists the help of Gus' estranged daughter Mickey (Amy Adams) to be Lobel's eyes.  On the trip the two meet up with one of Gus's old prospects Johnny (Justin Timberlake) now working for the Red Sox.  Together the three embark on a journey of self discovery that demonstrates that in life as in baseball, sometimes we all have trouble with the curve.

Review:  If the last line of my plot description sounds hokey and trite, it's because it's meant to.  It's a fitting representation of Trouble with the Curve, a tepid, mildly entertaining film that contains strong acting performances but suffers from a predictable and cumbersome plot.
     Trouble with the Curve marks the first movie Clint Eastwood's starred in since 1993's  In the Line of Fire that he didn't direct, and his first acting performance since the overrated Gran Torino.  Longtime partner Robert Lorenz directs Curve in a formulaic manner that relies on the audience's ability to accept a run of the mill sports drama.  Although I must admit Lorenz gets the most out of actors Eastwood and Adams.  Their interactions are the best part of the movie and elevates the estranged father and daughter motif into something palpable and believable.
     Unfortunately the same can't be said for the rest of the movie.  There are just too many plot holes and contrived moments in Randy Brown's bland and predictable script.  Being a baseball fan I don't understand how any scout could think Bo Gentry (Massingil) is the "next Albert Pujols" and a "five tool player."  It just doesn't jibe when the guy you get to play the role possesses the physique of an older Chunk from The Goonies who is just losing his baby fat.  Massingill plays Gentry as an obnoxious, self entitled brat which, although it makes sense, leaves little room for depth.  Additionally, the Latino peanut seller with a golden arm who shows up at the end of the film you could see coming from centerfield.  Also how is it possible that the Red Sox would send their least experienced scout (Timberlake) to scout someone who's projected to be the number one pick?  Furthermore, how does that translate into the pontential broadcast booth job that Johnny wants?
     Speaking of Timberlake, I thought that the budding romance between he and Adams was one of the weakest parts of the film.  The chemistry was hit or miss and I felt at times that Timberlake seemed miscast.  Plus the inevitability of Mickey and Johnny getting together (Mickey and Johnny God that sounds like a bad love ballad) at the end of the film weighted down the romance. 
     As for Eastwood, I sincerely hope he stays with directing from now on.  Although his performance was solid (like I said the byplay between him and Adams was fantastic) ole Clint has become a one trick pony in his later years.  By that I mean he's got the crotchety old man thing down but that's about it.  Don't get me wrong the crotchety old man routine was hilarious and several moments made me burst out laughing, which of course was intentional.  However, if he's not going to stretch himself as an actor anymore he should probably remain behind the camera.  Or talk to empty chairs.  Whichever.
     At the end of the day Trouble with the Curve, while at times entertaining, manages to be nothing more than a predictable, run of the mill sports drama.

My rating:  6/10

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to love this movie. I really did. But, I can't. Too slow, too predictable (I saw the thing with Rigo coming as soon as he threw the peanuts) and just generally disjointed. I too liked the one-liners (and believe the beer bottle-smashing threat was a perfectly measured reaction in response to come creep grabbing his daughter). Also, I have never liked Matthew Lillard (but I was happy to see the guy who played the head of the team on The Unit as the GM of the Braves).
    I've already gone into my plot issues via email so I won't rehash that here. I thought the acting performances were pretty good, but I'm not the best judge of these things so my comments don't carry much weight. (Though I will add, I'm becoming more of an Amy Adams fan practically by the day).

    I also liked the scenery the movie captured, from the front office at Turner Field to the high school games, and the backwoods bars and restaurants in between.

    Solid movie in theory, just not in execution. I give it an admittedly generous 7, and in closing, if anyone messes with my daughter, I will "rip your fucking face off".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I'm glad you mentioned the "five-tool player" bit. Maybe they are considering the five tools to be hit for average, hit for power, field, throw, and destroy buffets.

    ReplyDelete