Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Man of Steel Trailer!!!!


     The Man of Steel trailer wasn't supposed to debut for another two days but after seeing it, I don't think many people are going to complain.  Rather than keep you waiting I'll just have you check it out now:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUhramQcyKw

     Ok so now that you've had a chance to recover from the awesomeness, let's look a little more in depth.  Up until now we really weren't sure if this Superman film was going to be an origin story but I think we can pretty well put that puppy to rest.  Obviously there were plenty of scenes with Clark as a young man and the trailer also revealed brief glimpses of Krypton being destroyed, along with Superman's biological father Jor-El (Russell Crowe).
     What I loved about this trailer is how firmly grounded in reality Man of Steel appears to me.  In most comic book iterations Superman is hailed as a savior-like character.  Papers have been written about the similarities between Jesus and the Superman mythos.  Director Zack Snyder's film aims at taking a different approach.  Based on the trailer, people respond to Superman with fear and anxiety.  I mean think about it:  an alien with supernatural powers who looks human?  Isn't this how would most people react?
     It makes me wonder if this movie will in some way revolve not only around Clark Kent/Kal-El/Superman's destiny, but his quest to convince other people that he is there for the good of humanity.  This lends a depth and gravitas to the story we've not seen before.  This is a bold choice and I like the direction Nolan and company are taking.  I respect any director or producer that makes bold choices even if they are wrong.
     And while I was disappointed that John Williams famous score was not going to be included, the fact that Hans Zimmer (The Dark Knight) will be providing the music, makes me supremely happy.  If this trailer doesn't build more buzz for Man of Steel nothing will.
     The film opens next June and stars Henry Cavill. 
    

1 comment:

  1. I'm concerned that we only have like 3 notable composers in the movies, or so it seems. Why does that concern me?

    ReplyDelete