Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Review: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey


Plot:  Set sixty years before the events of The Lord of the Rings and based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey tells the story of Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman), a hobbit of the Shire who is persuaded by the wizard Gandalf (Ian McKellen) to embark on a quest.  The quest involves helping a company of thirteen dwarves, lead by Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage), to take back the kingdom of Erebor from the dragon Smaug.  Jumping from one dangerous moment to the next, surrounded by orcs, goblins, wargs, elves, and creatures of all imagining, Bilbo's courage will be tested and his life changed forever.  Along the way he also discovers a certain magic ring that will ultimately alter the entire destiny of Middle Earth.

Review:  [SIDE NOTE--When it comes to Tolkien and all things Middle Earth I have to admit to some bias.  That's actually too simplistic.  The more accurate term would be an extreme amount of bias.  I can't help it.  When I was five years old I'd recite the read along book to anyone and everyone who would listen--multiple times and complete with requisite chime to turn the page.  At the age of ten I read the novel (my favorite in case you were wondering) which began my life long love affair with reading.  Tolkien, The Hobbit, and Middle Earth hold a special place in my heart.  I'm telling you this right up front because I cannot and will not act like my special attachment didn't influence my review because it did.  Having said this, I hope that my review reads like a cogent assessment of the movie.  I leave that for you to judge.]
     The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is an ambitious, visually stunning, and well acted return to the world of Middle Earth that while overly long, nevertheless manages to enchant and captivate. 
     Director Peter Jackson seems born to do high fantasy, as his return to Middle Earth feels more like putting on a well worn and comfortable hat than anything else.  While many have chastised Jackson for splitting The Hobbit into three parts (I was one of them) you have to understand what Jackson is trying to do as a filmmaker.  Novels that translate to the big screen are subject to the whims of the director.  Jackson made the bold choice to not just focus this movie on the story of Bilbo Baggins but on the story of Middle Earth.  Consequently, the audience receives information heretofore only provided in the appendices to "The Lord of the Rings."  We get to see the White Council, an expanded history of the dwarves, the broken tower of Dol Guldur and the rise of the Necromancer, and even the wizard Radagast (Sylvester McCoy).  I for one enjoyed the fleshing out of the story, although I must admit that Jackson spent less time in Rivendell than I would have liked.
     As with The Lord of the Rings, Jackson deftly balances high octane action scenes such as the Thunder Battle and the escape from Goblin Town, with heartfelt scenes that evoke emotion.  The scene late in the film when Bilbo talks about home to the dwarves is particularly powerful.  All scenes I might add, are enhanced by another fantastic score from composer Howard Shore.  The Academy Award winner succeeds in bringing audiences a sweeping and grand score that is at once fresh and new while hauntingly familiar.  
     There is also a considerable amount of humor in Journey, which is to be expected considering that it is a children's novel.  Most of it comes via the dwarves Bofur (James Nesbitt) and Dwalin (Graham McTavish).  I also would be remiss if I didn't mention Jackson's handling of the riddle sequence between Gollum (played perfectly once again by Andy Serkis) and Bilbo.  This was the one section of the film I thought would be the trickiest.  Yet Jackson manages to keep the tension high, the riddle game short, and the interactions riveting.  In fact it turned out to be the best scene in the entire film.
     Speaking of Gollum, he looks even better in Journey than in LOTR thanks in large part to the dynamos at WETA digital.  Their particular brand of movie magic is second to none.  The troll sequence, the battle between stone giants, Goblin Town, the great eagles, Rivendell...everything is near perfect.  The part where Elrond (Hugo Weaving), Bilbo, Thorin, Dwalin, and Gandalf examine the map of Erebor under the moonlight is simply amazing.  I will admit however that I was disappointed about how they depicted the Goblin King.  He came across as mostly fat and oafish rather than terrifying.  And Radagast's sleigh pulled by giant rabbits?  Yeah wasn't feeling it.
     Journey would be nothing without the strength of its actors, whom I'm happy to report are excellent.  Ian McKellen is once again pitch perfect in his role as Gandalf the Grey, while LOTR veterans Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood (Frodo), Ian Holm (older Bilbo), and Cate Blanchett (Galadriel) also return.  I have to say it was like greeting old friends after a long absence.
     Newcomer Martin Freeman is the perfect Bilbo.  Although at one time David Tennant was up for the role, after seeing Journey I can't imagine anyone else playing the role.  He brings just the right amount of humor, passion, and sense of adventure to the role that I was expecting.  Freeman's interactions between Gandalf, Thorin, and Gollum were effortless, as if he was born to play Bilbo.  A tip of the cap to you good sir for not disappointing. 
     As great as Freeman was, Richard Armitage was equally superb if not better.  He approached the character of Thorin as a wayward prince, someone who has lost his kingdom.  The fact that he's had to find work where he can grates at his pride, and pride is a big part of Thorin Oakenshield's makeup.  Armitage is a charismatic if gruff leader, single in purpose and willing to do whatever it takes to get back his home.  Yet he is also fiercely loyal to his friends and a cunning warrior.  If I had one complaint it was only that other than Dwalin and Bofur, Thorin is the only dwarf that really develops as a character.  The other dwarves were simply indistinguishable from the others.
     At the end of the day The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a welcome return to Middle Earth for Peter Jackson and crew.  It spoke to the child in me and I couldn't help having a contented five year old grin on my face the whole time.

My rating:  9/10
    


No comments:

Post a Comment