Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Casting Suggestion: Bryan Cranston as Lex Luthor




While Man of Steel certainly divided critics and fanboys (some have resorted to calling it Meh of Steel--gag) I thought it was the best Superman film to date.  And with a domestic box office that should reach $300 million, it's no wonder that a sequel is on the fast track.

One of the many Easter eggs in Man of Steel was a reveal of the LexCorp building along with a LexCorp truck.  While it's not been officially confirmed yet, most movie pundits seems to agree that Lex Luthor will be at least one of the villains in the sequel.  So the real question is who will play the role?

My suggestion:  Bryan Cranston.

Now I'll admit I didn't come up with this casting choice on my own.  Someone mentioned the possibility at work the other day but I think the idea is inspired.  The man is an incredibly talented and versatile actor as his roles in "Malcolm in the Middle" and especially "Breaking Bad" prove.  Cranston is not adverse to playing a morally ambiguous character or a downright villain....and he's used to being bald.

Cranston would bring a certain gravitas and depth to the character that viewers haven't seen before.  I mean let's face it the depictions of Lex Luthor on screen have been pretty weak.  Gene Hackman was too campy and Kevin Spacey was boring.  One of the portrayals I liked was Michael Rosenbaum's performance on "Smallville."  (Yes I watched all 200+ episodes--bite me.)  At least the writers on the show and Rosenbaum were able to present a multi-layered Luthor that wasn't pure evil.  They humanized him and based on the first film, I think that's the direction the Man of Steel sequel is looking to move towards.

I sincerely hope they back up the Brinks truck for Cranston and get him in the film.  At the very least cast someone known and respected.  Man of Steel had Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Amy Adams, and Laurence Fishburne among others.  Let's keep the high quality talent flowing guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment