Monday, July 30, 2012

"Man of Steel" teaser trailer offers something other than the typical superhero rhetoric



     I have to admit that when I went to see The Dark Knight Rises I was eagerly anticipating the teaser trailer for next year's Superman re-boot, Man of Steel.  At first I was extremely disappointed because it didn't show really anything at all.  There was no Superman vs. Zod scenes, no shots of The Daily Planet; hell there wasn't even a shot of Amy Adams as Lois Lane!  Instead what we got was a very dreary depiction of a grungy Clark Kent moonlighting as a fisherman and in general looking like an outcast.  Only at the end of the trailer was Superman (Henry Cavill) flying.
     The more I thought about it though and after watching it I few times, I changed my mind.  This trailer comes across as very intriguing because it sets up a story of what kind of Superman audiences are going to see next.  I have to admit the voiceover and music* just gives me chills.  With Zack Synder (300, Watchmen) at the helm and Christopher Nolan producing, I have a very good feeling about Man of Steel.  And after the overwhelming disappointment that was Superman Returns, I think the world is in desperate need of a good Superman movie.
     Interestingly enough, Warner Bros. released two cuts of the teaser trailer with different voiceovers.  One had Jonathan Kent (Kevin Costner) Superman's Earth father doing the voiceover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKWJZsjm5U and the other had Jor-El (Russell Crowe) Superman's biological father doing the other http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-toIu5JscE&feature=relmfu.  Both are excellent but I prefer the Jor-El version.
     Man of Steel opens June 14th, 2013.

*The background music is from The Lord of the Rings movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment