Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Everyone's a critic! But not everyone is THE critic


     There's very few critics that I actually admire.  Most I think are pompous, self righteous asshats who wish they were movie stars.  The pretentiousness of some movie critics just gets me.  You're writing a film review not splitting the atom genius!  That's why I've always stated on this blog that my comments, reviews, and critiques are simply opinions.  I write this blog because I love movies and because I hope it's a place where people can come and be entertained.  Maybe even have a laugh or two.
     Having said that I have the utmost respect for Roger Ebert.  The man is a legend in the industry and his famous thumbs up has become an iconic gesture in American culture.  While I didn't always agree with his reviews (his lambasting of 2000's Gladiator was way off base in my opinion) his critiques were well thought out, intelligent, and entertaining.
     That's why it pleases me to no end that this American icon (yeah I said it!) is finally getting his just due on the big screen in the form of a documentary.  Noted movie industry names Steve James (Hoop Dreams), screen writer Steve Zaillian (Schindler's List), and Martin Scorsese (Raging Bull) are banding together to make a documentary based on Ebert's recent memoir.*  If you're going to do a film on arguably the best movie critic ever, you might as well have an all-star lineup doing the film.  (After all I couldn't see Uwe Boll directing this thing.)
     No timetable has been set for filming or a release date but if I had to guess probably sometime late next year....just in time for awards season.

*Ebert continues to write film reviews despite the fact that his battles with cancer have rendered him unable to eat, drink, or speak.  Now THAT'S passion for one's craft. 



No comments:

Post a Comment