Thursday, September 27, 2012

Realms galore to look forward to in the sequel to Thor



     By no means am I going to sit here and say that I'm versed in Norse mythology.  Far from it.  Yes I knew the basic gods like Thor, Odin, and Loki before I saw the 2011 film Thor but beyond that you might as well ask me to name the likes and dislikes of the cast of "The Jersey Shore."  Translation:  I could have cared less.
     Well if you are a fan of the Norse god, you may be interested to know that viewers will be exposed to more realms than just Asgard, Midgard (Earth), and Jotunheim (home of the Frost Giants).  A lot more.  As in all of them.
    "Kinopoisk," a Russian paper, reports that all nine realms of the Thor universe will appear in next year's sequel.  They are:

1.  Asgard (Home of the Gods)
2.  Midgard (Earth)
3.  Jotunheim (Home of the Frost Giants)
4.  Svartalfheim (Home of the Dark Elves)
5.  Alfheim (Home of the Light Elves)
6.  Nidavellir (Home of the Dwarves)
7.  Vanaheim (an associate God realm)
8.  Hel/Niffleheim (Realm of the Dead/Frozen Realm of the Dishonored Dead)
9.  Muspelheim (Home of the Fire Demons)

     It's a good thing I'm writing this post and not saying it out loud because my tongue just fell out of my mouth.  Also my spell check just committed suicide.
     The whole Thor universe seems a little dense to me.  It reflects more Middle Earth than Marvel.  Then again I'm always down for Elves, Dwarves, and Fire Demons.  I just hope that with nine realms, director Alan Taylor* can traverse the waters without the film becoming too dense to navigate through. 
     Thor: The Dark World is currently filming in England and will release November 8th of next year.

*Taylor directed several episodes of the first two seasons of Game of Thrones so I have a lot of confidence in this film.


No comments:

Post a Comment