Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Explaining my rating system



It has been brought to my attention by a friend of mine that I've never really explained the rating system on my blog. Obviously it goes through a scale of 0 to 10 which a lot of critics use, so I always thought it was fairly self explanatory. However, even a standardized rating system like 0 to 10 is subject to the individual personality of the reviewer. Consequently, it behooves me to provider a clearer definition of what my rating scale means to me personally. What I've decided to do is break down how I interpret the assigned number I give to a particular film:
10--I give a film a ten based on two criteria. First it must be flawless when it comes to the mainstays of film making--directing, acting, screenplay, costumes, etc. The second is that it has to evoke something inside of me-an emotion, a thought, whatever--that stays with me over the course of several hours, maybe even days.
9--Pretty much the same thing as a 10 but there are some minor technical flaws like the movie was slightly too long, a certain scene didn't work, the music didn't harmonize with the theme, etc.
8--A good movie where the film was enjoyable and fundamentally sound. It may have a few flaws but it doesn't detract from the overall positive experience of the film. However, it isn't something that "stays with me" like a 9 or 10.
6-7--An average film. some highs and some lows but nothing special or particularly memorable.
4-5--A mediocre film at best. The poor qualities outweigh the good ones. There is some redeeming value but not much.
2-3--A very poor effort in terms of film production where the movie is lacking severely in more than one of the following categories: acting, writing, directing, visual effects, etc. There may be one or two good moments in the film if you're lucky.
0-1: The film fails on every level: writing, acting, directing, set design, costumes, visual effects, and lighting among others. This number is distinguished by the fact that the movie has no redeeming value whatsoever and/or contains characters that are offensive or represent the lowest common denominator of the human condition. For example I consider Bella Swan to be the absolute nadir of role models for young women. Films in this category usually leave me thinking, "How many starving children could the budget of this film fed?"
So there is my rating system. Again it is just my own personal stance. You may not agree but I at least hope you have a better understanding now of where I'm coming from when I assign a movie a number.

No comments:

Post a Comment