Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Could this end up being the best summer movie season ever?

   


      People love summer for various reasons.  The sunshine, the good weather, picnics, the 4th of July, vacations; all are good examples which I thoroughly enjoy as well.  However, as a movie buff I have an added interest in summer because this is the time of year that (typically) the best movies are released....or at least the ones likely to attain the highest box office returns.
     As I perused summer 2013's list of upcoming feature films I noticed that there were plenty more films on my radar then I typically have on my list.  Usually there's maybe three or four.  Here are some films that, not only do I want to see, I think will make a significant profit at the box office:

Iron Man 3
Star Trek Into Darkness
The Hangover Part III
Now You See Me
Man of Steel*
Monsters University
The Wolverine
Kick Ass 2
Elysium

     And those are just movies that I want to see.  I didn't even mention Fast and the Furious 6, Pacific Rim, or This is the End, all films that again, I think will do extremely well.
     If you ask most movie historians which summer was the "best" most will say the summer of 1982.  Here are some of the highlights:

Blade Runner
Conan The Barbarian
The Thing
ET
Star Trek II:  The Wrath of Khan
Poltergeist
Pink Floyd:  The Wall
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
An Officer and A Gentleman
Tron
Rocky III

     That's a pretty impressive lineup both box office wise and from a critical standpoint although I've never cared for Tron and Rocky III isn't exactly Shakespeare.  But if you look at that list there are some pretty significant films, some of which are on AFI's top 100.  That's no small feat.
     Now while I don't necessarily think the movies on 2013's lineup will make an AFI list, I can't say that definitively.  What I can say is that I haven't been this excited for a summer movie season in years and there is a good chance that I'll see one or two of these films twice.  Don't be surprised if just these movies alone account for several billion dollars and possibly 80% or more of the yearly box office gross for all movie studios. 
     To quote NY Jets linebacker Bart Scott, "Can't wait!"

*I seriously cannot stop watching the latest Man of Steel trailer.  If this movie doesn't live up to expectations it's going to be one of the biggest disappoints of all time.  OF ALL TIME!  (Kanye West voice)

No comments:

Post a Comment