Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Director bows out of Mortal Kombat



I was never a huge fan of the Mortal Kombat movies, mostly because video game adaptations are usually putrid.*  I always preferred the video games to the movies. 

Maybe director Kevin Tancharoen feels the same way.  After three years with virtually no movement except for a script, Tancharoen has bowed out of the Mortal Kombat reboot in order to pursue other creative projects.

While as I mentioned a script is in place, apparently budget costs and location sites were the culprit.  I can't say I really blame Tancharoen for this.  The same thing happened with Guillermo del Toro and The Hobbit debacle.

Now to be fair Tancharoen has not said he's completely removing himself from the project, just the director aspect.  Perhaps, he'll stay on as an executive producer.  It's the least the production company can do after three years of Development Hell.

One thing's for sure, Casper Van Dien is pissed.

*I will say however that as the quality and storylines of videogames progress, my opinion is apt to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment