Thursday, December 22, 2011

Every day I'm Shiring!!! The Trailer for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is Here!





One of the fantastic (and unexpected--pun definitely intended) parts of seeing The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was that the very first trailer was for next year's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Anyone who knows me knows that this novel is very near and dear to my heart. It quite literally helped define my childhood and my love for fantasy. I can remember being five years old and reciting the entire story record book, complete with voices and the tone to turn the page, to any and every family member that would listen. To say I'm a little biased in favor 0f The Hobbit is like saying Tim Tebow likes Jesus. Both are understatements of massive proportions.

I was actually pleased that this was a legitimate full on trailer and not some second rate trailer where they spliced in footage from The Lord of the Rings movies. We get a touch of everything in this trailer--Gandalf's initial meeting with Bilbo, an introduction of the dwarves led by Thorin Oakenshield, and even Bilbo's discovery of Sting. (The sword not the musician that's into tantric sex.) It's amazing to see Ian McKellen back in all his glory as Gandalf. He is the quintessential wizard whether he is smoking a pipe or saving the dwarves from goblins.

Without question the most awe inspiring part of the trailer that just sent chills down my spine was when the dwarves started singing about the loss of their treasure to the dragon Smaug. I literally thought my skin was going to detach itself from my body. Those weren't goosebumps they were gooseflesh. Songs and poems are at the heart of Tolkien's work and it is nice to see Peter Jackson include them in the film. I can't think of another person more qualified to bring this film to life then him.

The soundtrack and the scenery once again looks epic with plenty of shots of the Misty Mountains and Rivendell. And of course there's no better way to end the trailer than with a shot of the One Ring and Bilbo's encounter with Gollum.

Precioussss wwweee wanntssss thisss movie to come sssooon!!!

December 14, 2012 seems an eternity away. Until then I guess I'll have to make due with this trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment