Thursday, December 8, 2011

Peter Weller beamed up to Star Trek while Benicio Del Toro Torpedoed into Space and Is Khan the Villain?








KHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I just needed to get that out of the way.

Well it's been a big week on the Star Trek sequel front. Academy Award winner Benicio Del Toro is out as the main villain. According to Vulture, negotiations broke down over (surprise!) monetary issues. So long Mr. Del Toro. Trekkies hardly new ye.

But with every cloud comes a silver lining and for Trek fans it is in the form of actor Peter Weller. Robocop himself has signed on the dotted line to play an undisclosed villain. My guess is he is not a main villain as Weller joined the cast before Del Toro exited. All that is known at this point is that Weller will not be a half man/half machine and will not be spouting lines like "Stay out of trouble" and "Dead or alive you're coming with me."

As for the villain, speculation is still running rampant as to who it could be, but all indications seem to point to fan favorite Khan.* Latino Review originally reported that Del Toro would in fact be playing Khan in the Star Trek sequel but the next day director J.J. Abrams came out and told Hitflix "Not true."

Personally I don't have an opinion either way. I was always a big fan of Khan and if Abrams decides to bring him back that's ok. If decides to go with a completely original villain I'm ok with that too. Let's just hope there are some Klingons in the next film. I would love to see Chang (Christopher Plummer) quoting Shakespeare in Klingon like he did in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, which incidentally was released twenty years ago this week.

I saw it in the theater.

God I'm old.


*I tried to find a picture of Ricardo Montalban exposing more chest but it just wasn't out there.




No comments:

Post a Comment