Friday, March 30, 2012

If this remake hits 88mph you're gonna see me flip some serious shit


To quote Popeye "This is all I can stands and I can't stands no more!"
Hollywood cranks out remakes like Eagles coach Andy Reid goes through bear claws. Some of them are good, most are bad, and a few are average. If Hollywood wants to rehash the same old same old then that's their choice. Most days I could care less.
Unless you mess with my 80s classics. Touch them and I go Lou Ferrigno and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry. Maybe it's because I came of age in the decade and many of the films are near and dear to my heart. Mostly though it's because most of the 80s classics are good movies. Think about it: The Goonies, Ghostbusters, E.T., The Breakfast Club, The Empire Strikes Back, The Return of the Jedi, Three O'Clock High, The Karate Kid, Predator....the list just goes on and on. Why would anyone conceivably want to remake these movies aside from a quick cash grab?
There are very few movies I refuse to see outright without giving them a chance. The Hostel movies and The Human Centipede fall into this category. I just have no interest in seeing them. Another one I will never see is the remake of The Karate Kid.
Let's see it's set in China, it involves Kung-Fu not karate, it has Jaden Smith in the lead role, and Jackie Chan in the Mr. Miyagi role. To that I say fuck you Daniel-san. The Karate Kid is an 80s classic that never should have been remade and certainly did not deserve the drastic changes that studio execs put on the film.
And now...oh now...they are talking about remaking one of my ten top favorite films ever, Back to the Future. Apparently directors of the forthcoming American Reunion Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg, just inked a two year deal with Universal that gives them the right to peruse Universal's old titles and propose remakes. When "Moviehole" asked the duo what film they might want to tackle they both said Back to the Future. To be fair they said that any remake would be far off and Bob Gale, Robert Zemeckis, and Steven Spielberg still retain the rights. However, knowing how Hollywood works I can see some coked up troglodyte convincing the studios to do this film.
My response to this can perhaps be best explained by paraphrasing Brad Pitt in Fight Club:

The first rule of remakes is you do not remake Back to the Future.
The second rule of remakes is: YOU DO NOT REMAKE BACK TO THE FUTURE.

Apox on your houses Universal for even considering this notion and letting these asshats flap their gums. You better quell this garbage now before I shove a Biff Tannen sized boot up your collective asses.

No comments:

Post a Comment