Thursday, March 1, 2012

Aykroyd Slimes the World with latest GB3 News



Ok that's it. I'm officially done with Ghostbusters 3 updates until I get word that the production has officially begun. And if Dan Aykroyd's latest statements to "The Telegraph" are any indication that post may never happen.

Aykroyd tells "The Telegraph" that the film right now is in "suspended animation" and that "Bill Murray will not do the movie." In fact he says it is "a surety" that he won't do the film. To quote the great Peter Venkman, "Come in Ray!" Murray has been saying this for over a year now. It's patently obvious that he doesn't want to be in the film.

In spite of Murray's adamant refusal to be in the film, Aykroyd says there is still some interest from the studio in doing the movie. That's fantastic because I have zero interest in seeing a Ghostbusters film without Bill Murray in it. Aykroyd has toyed with the idea of recasting Peter Venkman or even having Murray appear in the film in a cameo role* as a ghost. I think both of those ideas are absolutely atrocious. To his credit however, Aykroyd says that he will "not do a movie that exploits the franchise."

As enthusiastic as I originally was about the possibility of a third Ghostbusters film, at this point I hope the project is dead in the water. I don't want the studio to throw gobs of money at Bill Murray just so he can be the in film. I also don't want a subpar script. If the studio doesn't plan on doing Ghostbusters 3 in an appropriate manner, than I believe I speak for the majority of the franchise fans when I say don't do it at all.


*Incidentally I think that Murray's cameo as himself in the film Zombieland is one of the all time great cameos in movie history.

No comments:

Post a Comment