Thursday, February 16, 2012

From the "I can't make this shit up department" Nazis from the moon invade Earth in film "Iron Sky"


















I seriously don't know whether to laugh, cry, or shake my head at the idea of this movie. I mean really what else is there to say? Iron Sky is about a Nazi invasion from the moon. Let me repeat that for the people in the back: A NAZI INVASION FROM THE MOON. Check out a brief synopsis of the film:


As World War II comes to an end in 1945, Hans Kammler and other German scientists make a breakthrough in anti-gravity research. From a secret base in the Antarctic, Nazi spaceships are sent to the "dark side" of the Moon to establish the military base "Schwarze Sonne".[4] Their plan is to build a powerful fleet and return to conquer Earth. The film is set in the year 2018 when their descendants finally return.


If the idea sounds like something a twelve year old obsessed

with science fiction and WWII history cooked up on his MacBook Pro, you would not be alone. That was exactly my initial reaction. Even more ridiculous? The President of the United States in this film is a very thinly veiled representation of Sarah Palin. Hey I guess if you're going to go bat-shit crazy insane on a science fiction film, you might as well go whole hog. Palin being President and Nazis attacking from the moon are about on par in terms of plausibility. Iron Sky is being billed as a "science fiction comedy." Phew! Based on the plot I thought for a second there that it was documentary.

As if the premise wasn't strange enough, other aspects surrounding the film are just as out there. The Finnish film, shot in English and German, (?) premiered just this past week--in Berlin. Not only that but the film received a standing ovation! I guess there's no accounting for taste. The trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_IndUbcxc received 5 million hits in the last week alone. With such overwhelming positive responses, distributors are snatching up the film faster than a fat kid grabbing the last slice of pizza. One of the first in line? Shoval Studios, one of the biggest distributors for the country of...wait for it...ISRAEL. (Insert WTF exclamation here.) In case you were wondering, America has also hopped on the band wagon as distributor Entertainment One scooped up the rights. No news on whether this will be a theatrical release or straight to DVD, but my guess is the latter.

Having said all this I actually watched the trailer and, well, I've gotta say it's piqued my interest. How can it not? The whole premise is provocative. I'm not saying this film is going to be on par with Raging Bull (hell it might not even be on par with Biodome) but I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the film.

At the very least it will be fun to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment