Wednesday, April 11, 2012

"Edgy" Superman??


While I've always been a Batman guy, Superman is definitely my #2. I can watch the first two Superman films over and over again. I can't say the same for 2006's Superman Returns which was lamer than Jimmy Olson's tie. But when it comes to superhero franchises hope springs eternal, and it's my sincere wish that Zack Synder gets the Last Son of Krypton flying back on the right path.
If Dylan Sprayberry's recent comments to ClewerTV are any indication, audiences may get just that. Sprayberry, who plays the young Clark Kent, had this to say about how Synder wanted him to portray Kal-El/Clark Kent/Superman:

"When Zack
[Snyder] and I were talking about it the first time, he was saying how Superman,
they want to give it a more edgy feel like 'The Dark Knight' but also make it
more realistic and emotional so it’s not just the all-American superhero that
saves everyone. He has dilemmas and love and struggles throughout the whole
movie, especially when he's a kid."

I like this idea immensely. Audiences for whatever reason seem to be much more in tune with the "edgy" comic book heroes lately. (See Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy.*) And I'd be remiss if I didn't say that I want to see Superman as a reluctant hero, as an outsider coming to grips with who he is as a person. Now granted I don't want it to turn into an emo, brooding, douche fest either. It's a bold move by Synder to take the character of Superman in this direction however.
Now I know that some Superman purists will see this as heresy. Superman is after all the quintessential all-American, "truth, justice, and the American way" kind of guy. But my advice would be to give this movie a chance. Its already got some great actors attached, an intriguing plot-line, and a director who brought the "unfilmable" Watchmen to the big screen.
Man of Steel releases June 14, 2013

*Is there any doubt that there won't at least be a teaser trailer for Man of Steel before The Dark Knight Rises movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment