Tuesday, April 3, 2012

So you're telling me there's a chance! Dumb and Dumber sequel coming soon


The Farrelly brothers have had some hits and misses over the last two decades, but if you had to pin me down I'd say their best work is 1994's Dumb and Dumber. I remember seeing it in the theater with my Mom and sister, and my little Catholic Mom was roaring at some of the scenes. The part where Lloyd (Jim Carrey) told Harry (Jeff Daniels) about selling his dead bird to a blind kid left me crying I was laughing so hard. And almost 18 years later it still holds up.
Ever since the abysmal prequel Dumb and Dumberer, there's been talk of doing a sequel. Now it looks like the rumors may become reality.
According to "ComingSoon" Ace Ventura himself, Mr. Jim Carrey, called up Peter Farrelly recently and said "It's time." Not only is a script already in the can but Jeff Daniels has signed on and the movie starts shooting this fall. This would actually be the first sequel for the Farrelly brothers, who's latest film The Three Stooges, releases next Friday.
While some may say this is a worse idea than Harry and Lloyd declining to be oil boys for swimsuit models at the end of the first movie, I have to say I'm excited at the prospect of this film. The chemistry between Daniels and Carrey was just as good as Walter Matthau and Jack Lemon in The Odd Couple, and I'd love to see these two play off each other again. That being said almost twenty years have passed and I don't know if this film will appeal to the younger crowd. Furthermore, Carrey's star has kind of dissipated in the last decade and if you asked the average 15 year old who Jeff Daniels was they probably wouldn't know. But this movie might be driven more towards admirers of the film.
Let's just hope the sequel doesn't leave moviegoers saying "Do you realize what you've done!"

No comments:

Post a Comment