Monday, April 2, 2012

Wish there was an app to erase this news--Ashton Kutcher to play Steve Jobs


Despite the fact that it is April 2nd, I was hoping this story was a delayed April Fool's joke. It's not. According to "The Hollywood Reporter" Kutcher's next film will be an indie pic about the recently departed co-founder of Apple, Steve Jobs*. While I admit that Kutcher and Jobs do slightly resemble each other, I think that's about the only argument that Kutcher has for doing this role.
Steve Jobs is one of the most technologically groundbreaking people in the last fifty years and the way you honor his memory is to cast Kelso from That 70's Show to play him? Kutcher's meat and potatoes has always been comedy--and many people, myself included, have never found him particularly funny. Now granted I did like his dramatic turn in The Butterfly Effect, however I was more intrigued with the premise and the plot than his acting ability.
In my opinion this is a fundamentally flawed decision. Joshua Michael Stern will sit in the director's chair and the film is already slated to begin filming next month. Too bad the man who helped bring the world the iPhone, the iPod, and the iPad couldn't provide an application allowing for a more appropriate choice to tell his life story.
*Why don't we just cast Channing Tatum as Bill Gates while we are at it and make it a double dose of fecal laced cookies?

1 comment:

  1. Call me crazy (or the eternal optimist), but I don't think this is going to be that bad. Ashton has a rep as a comedy actor/goofball/generally annoying putz, but to get out of that, you need to take some shots. This is a shot.

    ReplyDelete