Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Spielberg will not direct "Star Wars Episode VII"



      While rumors are flying around like laser beams from Han Solo's blaster about who should direct the Star Wars movie, one guy you can forget about  helming the project is Steven Spielberg.  Access Hollywood recently asked Spielberg at the Lincoln premiere if he would be up for the film.  Spielberg stated emphatically, "No!  No!  It's not my genre.  It's my best friend George's genre."  Apparently Spielberg wanted to do one about fifteen years ago but Lucas said no.  I guess he was afraid of making a good Phantom Menace picture.  Oh well. 
     Man of Steel director Zack Snyder also states he would not direct the film if asked. 
     Honestly, I'm kind of torn as to who should do this movie.  Should a talented proven director be behind the project or a newcomer?  Either way I think the person has to have passion for the Star Wars universe.  Kevin Smith maybe?  I know that sounds way out there and he says he's retiring after his upcoming film Hit Somebody, but I don't see him turning it down if he was offered the project.
     One thing is for sure, each new person attached to this film is going to be a sensation for better or worse.  The untitled Star Wars Episode VII hits theaters (presumably) summer 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment