Monday, November 19, 2012

Two more directors Force choked out of "Star Wars Episode 7"


                                    
                                         I find their lack of faith disturbing....


     Well cross two more people off the list of potential Star Wars Episode VII directors.  Both Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol) and Colin Trevorrow (Safety not Guaranteed) have both declined to jump into hyperspace on the franchise.
     Brad Bird is currently working with George Clooney on the hush hush science fiction film 1952, and was pretty candid when asked on Twitter about his possible involvement.  In fact he was flippant, almost rude.  Bird responded with, "Thanks.  But the science fiction film I AM doing is going to be cool."  Well fuck you very much for your opinion Brad.  I'm sure whatever you are doing is far more interesting and will make way more at the box office.  Congratulations, in one fell swoop you've alienated yourself from every Star Wars fan and virtually guaranteed that you'll never have any involvement with any Star Wars film.
     As for Trevorrow he did meet with George Lucas at one point while the Lucasfilm/Disney deal was being finalized, however since the acquisition his involvement has all but died.  Again via Twitter, Trevorrow stated, "Odds I will direct Episode VII:  3720 to 1." 
     Seriously I don't get what's going on here with directors just turning this opportunity down in an almost casual manner.  Maybe I'm biased but if I'm a director in Hollywood I am Force jumping at the chance to direct this film.  It's in good hands with Disney, you've already got a proven Academy Award winning screenwriter on board, George Lucas will not be breathing down your neck...what is the problem?
     Listen I understand that there is a lot of pressure on this film and no one wants to screw the Jawa on this one, but good God grow a pair!  I still think the studio will nail down an established director to do this movie however I wouldn't be opposed to a fresh young visionary getting a shot.  After all that's exactly who George Lucas was at one point.

No comments:

Post a Comment