Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Villain in the House! Hugh Laurie may play the villain in the Robocop reboot


     With the recent cancellation of television the show "House," notable British actor Hugh Laurie certainly has some time on his hands.  Very soon he may dipping said hands into the Robocop reboot.
     According to "THR" Laurie is in negotiations to play the lead villain.  While there is no official name to the main antagonist, he's described as "the evil and ultra-rich CEO of Omnicorp, the company that makes Robocop."  While the description sounds a little one dimensional, I have no doubt that an actor of Laurie's caliber could flesh out the role.
     I have to say I wasn't terribly interested in a Robocop* remake until I started to see the number of actors attaching themselves to the project.  If Laurie hops on board he'll join actors Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman, and Joel Kinnaman in the film.  That's a pretty impressive list of actors and while Jackson isn't exactly picky when it comes to roles, Oldman definitely is.  This tells me that director Jose Padilha's script and direction for the movie is better I thought it was.  Time will tell.
     Robocop begins filming later this year with a target release date of summer 2013.

* Robocop was actually the first R-rated film I ever saw.  The part that freaked me out the most was when the dude was melted by toxic waste towards the end of the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment