Monday, June 24, 2013

Will Smith will not get jiggy with the "Independence Day" sequel



     When I was seventeen I saw the original Independence Day in the theater twice.  Not only was it all kinds of awesome, but it launched the movie career of two time Oscar nominee Will Smith.  With the sequel to Independence Day recently being greenlit, I thought it was a foregone conclusion that the Fresh Prince would saddle up once again.

Sadly I was mistaken.

Director Roland Emmerich has confirmed that he wants his next project to be Independence Day 2 and that the release date will be July 3rd, 2015.  However, he also stated that Will Smith's character of Captain Steven Hiller will not return:


Will Smith can not come back because he's too expensive, but he'd also be too much of a marquee name. It would be too much. We have like maybe half of the people that you know would know from the first film (in the script) and the other half people who are new.


I'm sorry Will Smith is "too much of a marquee name"??  In what universe does that logic make any type of sense?  The last time I checked the point of a marquee name was to get people's butts in the seats!

No word yet on whether Bill Pullman or Jeff Goldblum will return but I'd imagine that Emmerich would make an effort to get some of the original cast members back.  I have some serious doubts about this film especially if Will Smith isn't in it.  Are people really going to come see a sequel to a movie from twenty years ago?  Guess we'll see.

Will Smith can currently be seen in After Earth while Roland Emmerich's next film, White House Down, releases this Friday.

3 comments:

  1. I will absolutely see this movie, I don't care who is in it. Agree that the "too much of a marquee name" thing is BS but you know me, I'm in it for the story and the actors don't matter much as long as they are serviceable. Any word/rumors on a script? I know it says sequel but I had heard before it was more of a prequel. THAT would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope sequel and news today that pullman and goldblum are in! No idea on on the script.

    ReplyDelete