Friday, August 30, 2013

Oscar Nominee Bradley Cooper to play a talking raccoon....I'm serious.




Listen I don't pretend to be the biggest comicbook fan in the world.  Far from it.  Yeah I have a few graphic novels here and there but do I own a regular subscription to "Batman" or know the complete backstory of Ultron?  No.  So it's not surprising that when I learned that part of Marvel's Phase II would be Guardians of the Galaxy, my first thought was (you guessed it!) who the Hell are the Guardians of the Galaxy??

Suffice it to say that the more I hear about them, the less appealing I find them to be.  It's very kid oriented and there's a talking tree...and a talking raccoon...named Rocket Raccoon.  I....oy...I got nothing.  Can you sense my lack of enthusiasm here? 

Like it or not, Guardians of the Galaxy is currently filming with plenty of well known actors like Glenn Close, John C. Reilly, and Christopher Platt.  Well you can now add Bradley Cooper to that list.  Deadline reports that  Cooper will provide the voice to the wise cracking and sarcastic Rocket Raccoon.  Who exactly is Rocket Raccoon?  Well why don't I edify you with this piece of info:

Rocket Raccoon acts as the "Guardian of the Keystone Quadrant", an area of outer space sealed off from the rest of the cosmos by the so-called Galacian Wall. Rocket is captain of the starship Rack 'n' Ruin, and he and his first mate Wal Russ (a talking walrus) come from the planet Halfworld in the Keystone Quadrant, an abandoned colony for the mentally ill where the animal companions were genetically manipulated to grant them human level intelligence and bipedal body construction for many to become caretakers of the inmates. Rocket was Halfworld's chief law officer ("ranger") who protected the colony against various threats.


Now I may be way off base here but it doesn't seem like this film is going to appeal to anyone over the age of ten, unless you are a diehard Marvel fanatic.  Marvel is definitely taking a risk with this one and this could very well turn out to be their first major flop.

Guardians of the Galaxy, directed by James Gunn, releases August 1st, 2014.



No comments:

Post a Comment