Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Lionsgate developing the very unnecessary 8th film in the 'Saw' franchise



I want to play a game.  It's called let's stop with the Saw movies already!

What started out as one of the most original horror films in over a decade resulted in six sequels in he same amount of years, each one worst then the last.  I had sincerely hoped that with Saw 3D's release three years ago, audiences had finally seen the end of the franchise.

I was wrong.

"Bloody Disgusting" reports that production company Lionsgate is pushing for an eighth Saw film.  Lionsgate wants a "creative and fresh way to bring the movies back to the audiences."  You know what that tells me?  Reboot.  Groan.

The unfortunate nature of these films is that they cost only about $10 million to make and end up grossing four times that amount at the box office.  So long as audiences keep showing up there's no reason to stop making them.  In fact I'm a bit surprised we aren't on Saw X right now.  But just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something.  And I can think of no better example than the Saw franchise. 

No word on a story, director, or production start date but I wouldn't doubt it if we see Saw XIII next October.


No comments:

Post a Comment