Thursday, November 7, 2013

Saoirse Ronan will not join 'Star Wars Episode VLL'



I'll be perfectly honest, as good an actress as Saoirse Ronan is purported to be, I've never watched her in anything.  Having said that I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on this news.

In an interview with IndieWire, Ronan states that while she did audition for a major role last month, she did not win the part.  To be fair all the hot young talent in Hollywood has been auditioning for these parts.  (Who wouldn't want to join Star Wars?)

I'm kind of torn on the whole casting thing when it comes to Star Wars.  On the one hand I'd like to have some established actors involved* but casting a relative unknown in various parts might be a good way to go.  After all Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher were NOT household names before Star Wars.  The whole idea is striking the right balance I think.

My biggest problem is that I'm sick and tired of waiting for concrete casting news.  The film is about to roll in a few months.  The least they could do is confirm that Ford, Hamill, and Fisher are back.  But maybe it's a good sign that Abrams and crew want to get the casting right.  After all, George Lucas cast Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker solely through a video audition and we all know how that turned out.

*I sooo want Benedict Cumberbatch to play a Sith Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment